6/30/2011

No Reservations

There is a wonderful movie I want to introduce to you. The title is No Reservations.



Kate, the main character of this movie, is a chef of a restaurant in NY. She has confidence about what she cooks.



One day, her sister Christine and her niece Zoe (an elementary school student) were supposed to visit Kate, but they were in a car accident and only Zoe survived. Zoe does not have a father, so Kate starts taking care of her niece at Kate’s house.
After the sad incident happened, Kate’s boss at her restaurant orders her to take a week off, and her boss hires a sous-chef Nicholas during that week without letting Kate know. When Kate finds out that Nicholas was hired, she gets angry. She worked so hard to get that position, so she feels he takes that position away from her, and he might even take the restaurant away from her, too. She is not happy about the decision which her boss made.



In addition to such situation at the restaurant, Kate has another problem, which is about Zoe. Zoe does not open her heart to Kate and does not try to eat anything at all even though Kate always cooks elaborate meals for Zoe.



One night, Kate takes Zoe to her restaurant. Of course, Kate has to work as a chef, but she still has worries about Zoe’s appetite. Nicholas is like an enemy against Kate, but thanks to his cheerful character Zoe opens her heart to Nicholas and finally she eats pasta which Nicholas made.





With this as a start, relationship between Kate and Zoe and relationship between Kate and Nicholas becomes closer and closer…


I want you to watch this movie, so I do not tell you how the story ends. But before you watch it you should know that you can enjoy each person’s character, relationship between different people, and their life. And also, you can enjoy food which looks so delicious in many scenes.


From this movie, I learned 2 big things.

First one is that children like simple, home-made, mothers’ meals instead of meals whose appearance and taste is complicated or elaborate.



Kate is good at cooking so she cooks complicated and elaborate meals for Zoe. But Zoe is still mentally unstable and she is not familiar with such meals, so she does not eat meals cooked by Kate at all. But , Zoe eats simple pasta which is cooked by Nicholas. That scene tells us that when we feed children (especially children who have some problems with their appetite), we should care more about the taste they are familiar.


Another thing I learned is that people can enjoy food not only by eating but also by cooking.



There is a scene Nicholas and Zoe cook. They make pizza and pancakes together. I think that is the first time for Zoe to make pizza, so it must be a good experience for her. She usually is served delicious meals from adults such as Kate and Nicholas, but in that scene she herself enjoys cooking and she serves what she makes to others. That is amazing! As I said, we can and should enjoy food not only by eating but also by cooking.


Before I go, let me introduce good lines which I really like from a conversation between Kate and a therapist in this movie.

Kate: I wish there was a cookbook for life, you know? With the recipes telling us exactly what to do. I know. I know. You’re gonna say, “How else can we learn, Kate?”
Therapist: No. Actually, I wasn’t gonna say that. You wanna guess again?
Kate: Oh, no, go ahead.
Therapist: What I was gonna say was you know better than anyone. It’s the recipes you create yourself that are the best.


Enjoy the movie!


See you:)


Trailer → http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5RJTf0-Jk

Official site → http://noreservationsmovie.warnerbros.com/

2 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Megumi:)

    This is Mai.
    I watched it recently, and I really enjoyed!!
    It was interesting for me that although both Kate and Nicholas are really good chefs, thier characteristics are very different.
    I wish I could eat their dishes:)

    返信削除
  2. Hi, I'm Yuki(male!)
    I have also watched it before, and enjoyed it.
    By the way, I was teached happiness and goodness of cooking and life through the movie.
    This movie is what people can enjoy and learn them, I think.

    返信削除